Thursday, September 11, 2003

Charlotte's Web

A spider is living on my little car. I first noticed her a couple of weeks ago. I had not driven my Wagenschen in a long while, and she had been waiting patiently for me under a tree. As I described, she was covered in tree sap, leaves, and cobwebs. I rolled down the windows (no A/C) before I started out on my errands. I noticed the cobwebs on the passenger-side mirror and figured I would let wind and rain take care of them therefore not necessitating the addition of a car wash to my errand list – or requiring me to touch any web and/or spider.

A few days ago I was rolling down the windows in my little car to activate nature's air conditioning, and made eye contact with Charlotte. Eye contact. This is a big spider. I rolled the window back up a ways hoping to discourage her from joining me inside the car. I glanced out the passenger window later while I was driving. Charlotte had climbed up her web and secured herself in a crevice of the side mirror to protect herself from the 35 mile per hour winds.

The parking space choices were limited when I got home the other night. I ended parking a long block away that requires a stroll through the alley to get home. I was scrambling back through the alley to my little car last night to avoid arriving late to choir practice. Due to the location of the parking spot, I was approaching my little car from the passenger side. Charlotte has down marvelous and intricate work on that side of the car. I half expected her web to proclaim "Some Driver!" or "Incredible Woman!"

The longer she remains there, the harder I am finding it to destroy her work, and consequently, perhaps, end her life. I am realizing that though the beautiful work she is spinning does not contain actual words, her patterns are a proclamation of her own value and thus preserving her own life rather than Wilbur's – I mean, mine.

No comments: