Monday, October 27, 2003

Homecoming

David and I returned last night from a lengthy road trip across two countries and four states. We both enjoy road trips, but we also enjoy coming home.

It's so nice to sleep in your own bed, sort through days of junk mail, lament at the empty fridge, feel guilt over dying house plants, hide from the mountains of dirty laundry, and relax under the drip of your own no-water-pressure shower.

To be honest, I am really glad to be home. I always feel a renewed invigoration after being away from home for a while. After visiting with friends at U of I, seeing the fall colors from Toronto to St. Louis, and spending time in hotel rooms and family members' homes, I am inspired on several fronts.

Being away from home for a week has given me a fresh perspective – and, surprisingly, an appreciation for the way Chicagoans drive.

No comments: