Friday, October 17, 2003

I Love You, David

I am married to the most wonderful man in the world. Our first wedding anniversary is on Sunday – it is also the 12th anniversary of our first kiss.

I was straightening up the apartment this morning in preparation for the cable guy – long, ugly story, and because the apartment needs it, and because we will be on the road soon and it is so nice to come back to a clean apartment.

I had to pitch the beautiful arrangement that Dave sent me for my birthday. I had trimmed it down to its last blooms and it was shedding all over the dining room table. Just as I was cramming the slimy stems into a garbage bag, the doorbell buzzed. The cable guy? He was supposed to call first!

I grabbed my keys and jogged downstairs (the door buzzer functions only now and again). There was a young man at the door from our most favorite florist. Flowers for me? He asked if I was Kate. I said yes and signed for them. He said, "Didn't I deliver some flowers here a couple of weeks ago?" I said yes.

I took the tall package upstairs into the living room and tore back the brown paper to reveal an arrangement of a dozen Leonidas roses with hypericum berries – flowers from my bridal bouquet. Is he romantic or what?

Not only did the woman taking his order have to track down the vice president of the florist company in order to get the information about my bouquet (he is the designer and worked with me on planning the flowers for the wedding and is a super guy), but David also had the flowers delivered early so that I could enjoy them.

I am constantly amazed by this man. I can beat him at rock/paper/scissors to the point of embarrassment because I know what he is going to do, but he surprises me on a regular basis. I am still shocked that he was able to pull off the most romantic and perfect marriage proposal I have ever heard of (okay, I might be a little biased). He surprises me all the time – and not just with gifts.

The fun surprises like birthday pizzas and tiny cakes, flowers unannounced, playing cards and tacky tourist magnets, and a necklace with a beautiful diamond on our wedding day that made me blubber like an idiot are really just bonuses.

The true gift I receive from David is himself – his love, his confidence, his thoughtfulness, his support, his generosity, his intellect, his humor. David makes me better, he amplifies my good qualities and accepts the bad ones, he frees me and makes me truly happy.

He is my perfect partner. He is my match. I am thankful every day that David is in my life.

No comments: