Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Time Travel

The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind for me. I have this overwhelming sensation of disorientation -- like you get when you walk into a movie theater on a sunny afternoon and are transported through a screenwriter's sense of time via the story to emerge into a world that you have half-forgotten and appears unrecognizable now that the sun has set. You know what I mean? That happens to me sometimes when I read a book for a stretch of a couple of hours. My sense of time becomes distorted.

My time has been distorted lately by Dave being home from work last week, by Oktoberfest, and by a change in the weather. I finally did the laundry yesterday -- three double loaders of clothes. Digging down to the bottom of the hamper was like viewing a geologist's cross section of soil revealing evidence of atmospheric changes: long-sleeve shirts, sweatshirts, and jeans at the top gradually yielding to clothes for much warmer temperatures towards the bottom. Rain and wind brought cool temperatures to us last Friday -- today's high will be around 55.

I can't believe it's already Wednesday -- I haven't come out of my time coma yet. To make things all the weirder, my darling husband's beloved Cubs are playing baseball in October? They beat the Braves in Atlanta. Have I entered a new dimension? A parallel universe?

No comments: