Friday, October 10, 2003

Mein Geburtstag

On Wednesday I tuned a year older. Again. I remember agonizing for weeks when I was young waiting for my birthday to finally arrive. Now I seem to have a birthday twice a year – they can't possibly be occurring as frequently as they seem to now.

And still – I love birthdays. I have had a cold this week and was feeling miserable on my birthday morning. My outstanding husband left me to slumber. The doorbell rang later in the afternoon – a beautiful arrangement of flowers in a gorgeous vase from my David. I also received a surprise skirt (we never buy each other clothes) from one of my favorite catalogues. I had folded down the corners of pages that contained items I liked in one of my catalogues. I do this a lot. I rarely actually purchase anything. David apparently came across this catalogue and made the purchase.

When the UPS man arrived with the package, I was afraid that I had started to order my wish list clothes during some sort of blackout and therefore couldn't remember purchasing this skirt. David picked out a great skirt from many many dog-eared pages. He has revealed his ability to not only pick something nice for me, but also to determine which item from the many on the page was the one that I was attracted to. What a good husband!

That night I had two separate meetings at church, so going out to dinner was a no go. When I got home at around 9:30, David was there with a Little Ceasar's pizza (and crazy bread!) for me. He was on the phone with a friend of ours. While I chatted with her, Dave disappeared into the kitchen and came back out with a tiny birthday cake from Dinkel's (where we were engaged) and one number 3 candle on it! He was sweet enough to not sing to me.

So I sat on the couch and gorged myself with pizza, crazy bread, and birthday cake while we watched Dave's Cubs destroy the Marlins.

Getting older is okay by me.

No comments: