Friday, August 22, 2003

The Heat Day

We were supposed to have a heat wave this week. The summer has been unusually mild this year, so a few days of heat really wouldn't be that horrible. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were slated for high 90s with high dew points to make it feel like it was 100 plus.

I don't think we broke 86 here on Tuesday or Wednesday. The humidity made it a little moist, but nothing too horrible. Yesterday was another story.

The heat index hit 110 even close to the lake. It was miserable. I had to create errands to have excuses to get out of our sauna of an apartment and sit in the comfort of an airconditioned car. I haven't been that uncomfortable in a long time.

A front was scheduled to move through last night. The excessive heat advisory was posted until 9:00 pm -- then we had the chance for storms due to the front. The storms formed over the lake, missing us entirely. We went to bed sticking to the sheets -- and woke up with the comforter on us.

I love the Midwest.

Today's high will be 78, then 80 and 82 on Saturday and Sunday respectively. Humidity is under control, and there is no rain predicted until Tuesday. There is a light breeze blowing through the apartment. I actually put on a long sleeved cotton shirt to take Dave to work today!

I apologize to those of you living points south of here where it is still hot. We have an office/guest room with clean sheets for the futon to protect you from the goose bumps...

I am sure I will regret this posting later.

No comments: