Tuesday, August 26, 2003

More Thoughts

There are a few things I would like to blog -- but today is a crazy day. I have an Oktoberfest meeting tonight and much to do.

I regret my earlier posting on "The Heat Day." Yesterday it was 95. Today we will do the same. The computer and I can't take it. Luckily, the humidity is lower than it was last week. But still. I know it is hot when I tell myself at 9:30 am that I should wait until I have to leave for the meeting to take a shower since the better-smelling benefits of taking one now will be lost by then.

I have been thinking about hot dogs again. How is it that my hometown is not a hot dog city? Click here to read the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council's history on the dog in the US. St. Louis is linked to the history in at least two different possible ways (selling dogs at baseball games -- definitely, the invention of the hot dog bun in 1904, debatable). I'm going to have to look into this. I've done a little investigating so far. I read part of a (suburban) St. Louisan's blog about buying her nephew a hot dog in downtown St. Louis from a "bona fide hot dog stand." Really? How have I missed those?

I talked to Lucy about her Christmas outfit streak. She tried to claim that it was due to having to wear the dresses that belonged to older sisters when Mom dressed us alike, causing the youngest girl -- Lucy -- to enjoy some fashions for many consecutive years. No dice. The outfit in question was a Mom one-of-a-kind, light blue, corduroy jumper. I was looking through some of the pictures while we talked. A future blog may include a survey of all of the repeated Christmas outfits over time. I hadn't seen the patterns before. There are also a couple of good examples of 'the slippers I got this year' in there. Lucy mentioned having to wear navy blue Capezio's that had ribbon bows on them for many years due to the hand-me-down policy. I'm thinking now that maybe Lucy does not have feet as large as she claims, but rather used the excuse of having size 9 feet to avoid wearing black patent leather Mary Janes and navy blue Capezio's to this very day.

No comments: