Monday, August 25, 2003

Some Thoughts

Dave and I splurged at Sam's and about an assortment pack of individual serving-size cereals. The assortment could be named "All the Cereals Your Mom Never Let You Buy." Somehow some Frosted Mini-Wheats slipped in between the Fruit Loops and Frosted Flakes, though. Anyway, I had a bowl of Frosted Flakes this morning. Are the boxes smaller now? Wow. Clearly, the usual serving size of cereal that I measure out for myself is way out of control. I thought about putting two boxes in one bowl. Then inspiration hit -- what if I mixed two different kinds of sugar-coated cereal in *one* bowl? No, the milk did not become the cool color I predicted.

I have been scanning my family's traditional Christmas pictures for preservation. Interesting to note that my sister Lucy wore the identical outfit in 1986, 1987, and 1988. My sister Rachael wore the outfit before her in 1985.

I spent part of last night looking through blog directories. I found a directory for St. Louis and one for Chicago. Common themes: most bloggers are male and (often) under the age of 30. Many bloggers are under the age of 22. Their interests include movies, anything sci fi, and all things technology. Blogging themes in Chicago include the Cubs, food, and on the occasional female blog, dating. Blogging themes in St. Louis include Christianity (?) and the Cardinals.

The Cardinals, Cubs, and Astros are all within a half game of each other at the top of the central division. This level of competition at this late date in the baseball season could create not-seen-before levels of stress for Dave and me as we cheer on (and occasionally curse at) our favorite teams. Dave is quietly optimistic about the Cubs, I am worried about the Cardinals' pitching. The really interesting thing is that neither of our teams would be worth squat were they competing in most other divisions in baseball. Go Cards!

Finally, our friend Frank loaned us the book Moneyball by Michael Lewis. Dave has already finished it and wants to buy it so that we can own it and he can read it again. I am halfway through it. It has changed our lives. We have become converts. We see baseball in a whole new way.

No comments: